FRIDAY, APRIL 17, 2015
Spring is an Ideal Time for a Safety Review.
• You can begin by checking the lifejacket's, flares and first aid kit to help keep you and boating companions safe while onboard your vessel. Be sure the horn, running lights, anchor light and searchlight work properly.
• Check the fire extinguishers and have them serviced as needed, and replace the batteries in the smoke and CO detectors, and EPIRB if you have one.
• You’ll want to make certain the boat’s registration or documentation is current, and that all the required papers, including a copy of your insurance policy with claims contact information, are on board.
• It’s always a good idea to start a “punch list” of maintenance items that will need attention before the end of the season.
• Inventory all equipment and outfitting on board, and update it during the season. It is a good idea to list all personal items aboard as well. A complete list of personal items and equipment could come in handy, in the unfortunate event of a loss.
• Replace anything that’s missing, damaged or out of date, including fire extinguishers.